Christmas can be a stressful and busy time of year – we can feel overwhelmed, under pressure and pushed to the limit. It’s really important to take time to relax and look after yourself as our Fibromyalgia symptoms are exacerbated by stress.
12 Ways To Relax This Christmas
- Take time to meditate. There’s no need to go on a retreat to the mountains as you can do it in the sanctuary of your own home. I love the the Calm app. All I have to do is find a comfortable spot in a quiet place, concentrate on my breathing, and feel those anxieties start to disappear.
- Read a book. I’m reading the Harry Potter series at the moment and I’m loving them!
- Take a soothing bath. Add Epsom salts to sooth those aching muscles.
- Colouring is a stress free activity. I love adult colouring books, I can spend hours colouring in. It is so relaxing.
- Indulge in some home pampering – a face mask, foot soak, deep moisturising hair mask and your favourite scented candle (I’m loving the Yankee Candle Christmas Baking scent at the moment) whilst drinking a hot chocolate with mini marshmallows.
- Listen to your favourite music – it decreasing stress and improves mental well being.
- Contact a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while. It’s always great to nourish old friendships and reminisce about the past.
- Start planning your next holiday. Take a break from the stress of Christmas and start browsing the web for the ideal holiday spot.
- Go for a relaxing walk – fresh air, exercise and nature are a winning combination.
- Watch a comedy movie or TV show that will let you forget the stresses of Christmas by laughing. Select something that makes you laugh out loud!
- Cuddle with a pet. I love snuggling with my cats whilst watching a movie and eating popcorn.
- Enjoy doing one of your hobbies: painting, crafts or knitting. You can spend some time looking on Pinterest for inspiration.