At the moment I’m going through a challenging time – I’m in a lot of pain from my Fibromyalgia and I’m physically, emotionally and mentally exhausted. I need to prioritise self-care. I struggle to do this – it’s easy to say, “Just take better care of yourself, relax and stop worrying,” but when you lead a busy life, self-care is so often an afterthought and stress makes me feel as if I am lacking – as if I’m not good enough somehow and it all feels like too much.
I need a prescription for self-care!
I’m taking the time now to look after myself, to recover, to restore my self-esteem and to make sure I’m at my optimum – emotionally, physically, and mentally.
I’ve written down some ideas for self-care that might help me and might help you too:
- Ask for help from whoever you need it – your boss, your doctor, your partner, your friends, your family – let people know you need some help.
- Go outside and enjoy the sunshine. Listen to the birds, watch the bees flying about and admire the colourful flowers.
- Enjoy a home spa day – indulge in a face mask, paint your nails, pamper yourself.
- Treat yourself to your favourite perfume or candle. Buy a small luxury as a way of valuing yourself.
- Keep hydrated. Have you had enough water today?
- Eat something nutritious and healthy instead of snacking on chocolate and crisps.
- Take a long hot bath, light a candle, and listen to your favourite music.
- Slather your skin with wonderfully scented moisturiser.
- Go to bed early with a good book, slip into clean sheets and relax.
- Bake a cake for those wonderful friends in your life.
- Visit a museum or gallery that you’ve never been to before.
- Take a break from technology. Free yourself from the constant demands of social media and email.
- Enjoy a sunrise and sunset in a different place.
- Write down your thoughts, vent and let it all out.
- Watch a light-hearted TV show or movie.
- Enjoy cloud-watching, lie down and relax.
- Write a list of all the positives in your life.
- Buy a bouquet of flowers to brighten up your house.
- Listen to songs that remind you of happier times.
- Spend time colouring, there are lots of adult colouring books to help you relax.
- Declutter – tidying up can be calming.
- Practise relaxation techniques. Meditate. There are lots of meditation apps to choose from. I love listening to sounds of nature or animals.
- Spend a little money and treat yourself to some self-care – a manicure, a pedicure, a new haircut.
- Learn a new craft – knitting, drawing or sewing.
- Accept help and comfort when offered.
- Remember that what you are feeling is temporary. You will get through this.
- Develop a relaxing night time ritual to help you sleep.
- Soften expectations of yourself – tell yourself that you’re doing the best you can.
- Indulge in your favourite comfort food.
- Read stories of people who overcame adversity. They may inspire you.
- Binge watch a series on Netflix. I love Modern Family or Orange is the New Black.
- Read inspirational quotes.
If you’re going through hell, keep going. (Winston Churchill)
- Get out and about, even when you feel like you can’t.
- Snuggle with your pet or partner, watch a movie, and eat some popcorn.
- Go to the seaside, take a walk on the beach.
- Tend to the plants in your garden, nourish them and watch them respond.
- Enjoy a cup of hot chocolate in a coffee shop – take a moment to people watch.
What self-care ideas can you share with us? What has brought you relief and comfort when going through life’s tough times?
Keep smiling through the tears 🙂