Sometimes we get bogged down in our routines but how about making some changes or trying something you’ve always wanted to have a go at but kept putting off? Why wait? It’s time to take the initiate and stop playing it safe – follow your passions! Life is filled with endless possibilities and there’s nothing to lose by trying something new. You can make positive lifestyle changes that will give you a new and exciting outlook on life.
Today I’m sharing some ideas on how you can make positive lifestyle changes:
- Learn a new language, either by signing up for a class or doing it online. It’s the perfect way to meet new people and discover new cultures. It can also open up a world of job opportunities.
- Do volunteer work. It will make you feel good about yourself, but most importantly it offers you the chance to give something back to the community and make a difference to the people around you. It also provides you with an opportunity to develop new skills or build on existing experience and knowledge. You’ll meet new people and have fun too.
- Change your diet – eat less processed food, eat more fruit and veg and drink more water. Find new and exciting recipes.
- Redecorate a room in your house, you could even try a bold colour. A fresh coat of paint and rearranging some furniture can make you feel like you have a completely new home, a beautifully decorated room can significantly enhance your mood.
- Stop smoking! Giving up smoking is one of the healthiest decisions you can make. I gave up over 5 years ago. You can do it too 🙂
- Practise mindfulness or take up yoga. They can reduce stress and anxiety, and increase your happiness and sense of well-being.
- Is social media distracting you? Do you often find yourself reaching for your phone when you’re doing other things? Give up social media for a week. Enjoy the shift in focus from what everyone else is doing to what you want to do. Appreciate the beauty of the world around you, finish a project you abandoned, read, garden and visit your friends.
- Create a bucket list – 10 things you want to do before your next birthday. It will keep you motivated and focused on what you really want to achieve.
- Check out classes in your local area and learn a skill you always thought would be fun. You will meet new people who share your interests.
- Have a makeover – try a new hairstyle, a new outfit, get your makeup done by a professional. It could give you that boost of confidence you need to find your dream job, an ideal partner or new friends — a whole new and exciting life! Enjoy the new you.
- Start growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs. Reap the health benefits of fresh food and enjoy cultivating your relationship with your garden and the earth; you may even see a little tinge of green on your thumbs.
- Think of something you would enjoy creating – a scarf, a painting or even writing a book – and then make a start this week. Don’t put it off any longer.
- Sleep more – go to bed early at least once a week. Treat yourself to a weekend lie in. Getting enough sleep is a key part of a healthy lifestyle, and can benefit your heart, weight and mind.
- Set yourself weekly or monthly goals and do your best to achieve them. Goals clearly set out your intentions and desires, the things you really want to achieve, and it gives you a sense of achievement when you complete them.
- Create a positive affirmation that empowers you to embrace a positive outlook. Replace, ‘I can’t’ with ‘I can and I will’. (Read some of my positive affirmations that might motivate, uplift and inspire you on another of my blog posts.
- Spend more quality alone time with your partner. Surprise your loved one with a romantic evening or overnight hotel stay or go on a day trip to the beach – walk barefoot, enjoy a picnic, eat an ice-cream and build a sandcastle. Have fun together!
- Buy a new or used instrument and look on YouTube for instructional videos. Learning a new instrument teaches you perseverance and enhances your coordination. It’s also a fun stress reliever too.
- Change your job, if you’re unhappy update your CV and try something new.
- Join a gym, dust off your bike, walk more or go swimming. Get more active. Research shows that physical activity can boost self-esteem, mood, sleep quality and energy, as well as reducing your risk of stress, depression, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Ask a friend to teach you to do something that they are good at and offer to teach them something else in return.
- Plan a holiday to that place you’ve always dreamed about visiting. Going on holiday not only makes you feel good, you also reap the health benefits too – it can cut your blood pressure, it can help you sleep better and bounce back from stress. Start saving now!
- Adopt a pet, there are huge health benefits to owning a pet, it will increase your happiness – stroking and playing with a pet can reduce your blood pressure and stress levels, and increase the levels of serotonin and dopamine your body produces, making you feel calm and relaxed. They are also great company.
- Read more, books are a great source of relaxation, knowledge and inspiration. I read every day 🙂
- Do a random act of kindness at least once a week. Do something unexpectedly nice for a friend, relative, partner or a complete stranger – pay for someone’s coffee, send a card or leave a love note.
Believe in yourself, you can begin to make positive changes today.
Keep smiling 🙂