A Fibromyalgia flare can really kick my butt, it’s a temporary increase in the intensity of my fibro symptoms, the pain is excruciating and the fatigue is debilitating. Distraction tends to work for me – I love snuggling with my cats whilst watching a funny movie.
Today, I’m sharing some strategies to help you get through a Fibromyalgia flare:
- Communicate with your family and friends about what’s happening with your body, tell them what your limitations are and what they can do to help you. Asking for help if you cannot do it all or just letting go of the less important things that you are unable to do can reduce stress and ease your symptoms.
- It’s important to go with what your body is telling you to do – rest! Sometimes you have to acknowledge that you are powerless over your illness and the smartest thing you can do is to give in to it and go to bed.
- Self-care is important during a Fibromyalgia flare. Take it easy, be good to yourself, wrap up warm, use your heating pad to help ease the pain.
- Watch funny videos or movies. It’s always good to laugh, I love watching cat videos on YouTube.
- Take a walk to your local park and feed the ducks. It is relaxing and will help you get some energy to keep on fighting.
- Colouring is relaxing. You can buy adult colouring books (there is even a swearing colouring book) or you can find free images online that you can print and colour. I really enjoy colouring in butterflies and flowers, mandalas are great too.
- Listen to your favourite relaxing music or something upbeat. I enjoy listening to music from the 80’s and 90’s, it brings back good memories.
- Use the items in your Fibromyalgia cuddle basket to get you through the flare. Having things handy and in place can help reduce the anxiety of a fibro flare.
- Phone a friend, it doesn’t matter what you talk about, just feeling connected to something beyond your pain can help to lift your spirits.
- Enjoy a hot soothing bath, Epsom Salts absorbed through the skin can help to relieve muscle tension, pain, and inflammation in joints.
- Browse through the beautiful handmade crafts on Etsy.com. You may find the perfect gift for a loved one or a treat for yourself.
- Meditate, there are lots of meditation apps that will help you to relax.
- Write a letter to a friend, use pretty paper or notelets. It can brighten someone’s day to receive a personal letter that shows you care.
- Go online and talk to other people who have fibromyalgia, it helps to know that you are not the only one going through a flare.
- Repeat self-reassuring phrases, for example: “This flare will end, just like all the others.” These phrases can help you relax and quieten the inner voices that insist you’ll never have a good pain day again.
- Look for inspiration on Pinterest, I can spend hours on the app.
- Playing or snuggling with your pet can be very therapeutic. Their unconditional love helps when you are in flare.
- Indulge in a bar of your favourite chocolate, sometimes it’s nice to treat yourself.
- If you find it difficult to concentrate on reading a book you could listen to audio books. Put on your headphones, lie back, and enjoy.
- Fun craft projects can help distract you from the pain – perhaps you love knitting or painting or even making your own jewellery.
What strategies help you get through a Fibromyalgia flare?